Friday 19 January 2007

Missing home.

Feeling ever so slightly slightly jealous today. Just read a few Scottish blogs and saw the photos of the snow, it's sunny here today and since living in England haven't seen much snow at all. Got me thinking about what I miss about living in Scotland. Also been watching the box set of Chewin the Fat, feeling ever so nostalgic, ooh the glasgae banter !! translating for the children who don't always get it having spend a lot of their lives down south and getting more homesick by the week.

What I miss

Empire biscuits

Just can't buy them, I really like the ones with glace cherries on top, although they are so sweet they hurt my teeth.

People talking to you

You know like at bus stops, in shops etc strangers telling you all sorts and passing the time of day with you, being funny sometimes without trying or meaning to, no one does that in England well not in the bit I live in.

Scottish Newspapers

No matter what happens in Scotland it doesn't really make the papers in a big way, so quite often I don't really know what's going on.

I really just miss Scotland, it's people, the culture, the history and the scenery so if you're lucky enough to be there please take a minute to look and appreciate what you've got around you and know that you're in the place I love the most.

3 comments:

Helena said...

Gwen, my heart goes out to you. Both my twin and daughter live and work in London but make regular journeys home - and return armed with square sausage, proper rolls, and hame made tablet.

And if you haven't seen them yet, treat yourself to the new series of Still Games. Pure Dead Brillaint!

You can take the lassie out of Scotland, but you cant' take Scotland out of the lassie!

Chin up!
Lena
x

auntiegwen said...

Lena, thank you so much. It doesn't really matter where you live and what it's like there but it's the feeling of being in the right place and I don't have that at the moment.

On a more cheerful note, I love Still Game and got the new series as an Xmas pressie ! I love all their stuff and most Scottish comedy but I have been away so long I am beginning to feel nostalgic for Dorothy Paul !!!

Maybe I've taken that too far !

Thanks again Lena

x x

Neil said...

You're not missing much... snow only lasted a day and Scottish newspapers have gone downhill fast since last summer!!!