Friday 27 March 2009

Strange Questions I have been asked in the last week

I get asked questions all the time, you probably do yourself. A lot of mine start "Mummeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, where are my ... ?" or the plaintive "Can I have something to eat ?" or the omnipresent demands for cash for school trips, smart cards, sponsored silences etc etc etc.

I also get asked for advice, people asking me what to do next. But this week work has thrown up child abuse and domestic violence for me to deal with and truth be told, every time I close my eyes to go to sleep I see the faces of those who've confided in me, it's giving me insomnia and nightmares but feck knows that's nothing to what they're going through.

But as ever in the midst of all the mayhem, there have been a few humorous questions thrown my way.

Does my face look like it belongs to me ? - from my EBD. It did but she'd forgotten to put her lipgloss on

Can you be a Tory and dislike the Daily Mail ? - text from my ex's teenage son

Why is todays Google the very hungry caterpillar ? - text from IT God.

Is being 20 any good ? - a student, I don't know I'm 42, I've forgotten

If I get an A in my exam, will you buy BBD a hamster ? - another student who is also BBD's Girls Brigade Leader.

Will you tell my daughter to stop being on facebook till the early hours of the morning ? - a parent, okay will you tell mine ?

8 comments:

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

Too many questions, too little time. Just keep pondering how your mammary glands went up a size!

Tim Atkinson said...

The strangest question I've been asked (by Sally) is 'do bees have ears?'. It's like the title of that book, but real...

Still don't know the answer!

auntiegwen said...

Mob - and if I do find the secret, I'll make my fortune

Tim - they don't but they do have some sort of hearing organ and they can feel vibrations

Anonymous said...

Haha...well at least there's been some humor!

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Ah, Beautiful Auntie Gwennie, in the week that I've discovered that my 17 year old Grizz has started smoking (an addiction I hate worse than death, for it leads there...at least in my mind, for it carried off my mum), your little piece consisting of random questions you must get asked every day has been like an all-too-brief tonic of laughter to me. Thankyou so.

I wish for you the strength to cope with the secrets you have been brought into - Never easy... xx

Anonymous said...

Maybe I should bring a list with me tomorrow?
Can't wait to see you!!!! xxx

Working Mum said...

In a cover lesson in English today the kids were studying 'La Belle Dame Sans Merci' and I was asked, "Was Keats french, then?"
I was also asked which poem in the book was by Keats. I replied "All of them, it's a book of Keats poems"
Ah, the youth of today!

auntiegwen said...

Lisa - yep and I did need it this week but I did do what you've been telling me to do for months, so go me no more fallback girl xx

Fhina - it's scary how many of my students smoke, we did my fave kind of maths the other day, worked out how much they spent on cigs and seen what we could buy with them, prada handbag anyone ? I hope Grizz will give up, it must be very hard for you xx

penelope- yep ask and oracleauntie will reveal all xxx can't wait xxx

WM - ah yes, you couldn't make it up, I covered year 10 PE lesson on Thursday, anyone for tennis ? I was feckin freezing !