Friday 5 November 2010

Eleven things I'd like to have a go at

Zumba
They're running a class in my local high school on Tuesday evenings, apparently it's an exercise that feels like a party. I definitely some of that. I wonder if there will be flirting and drinking too? Anyone want to come with me?

Zorbing
You go in a big inflatable ball and roll down a hill, a bit like being a human hamster. It looks gas fun, The Beautiful Children quite fancy it as well.

Festivals
I'm gutted that I've never done any music festivals, I feel I'm letting myself down. I love live music, I love being with happy likeminded people but I'm middle aged and don't like mud so I've never done one. I really must have a go before I'm too old.

Yoga and/or Pilates
I still want to go that Pilates in France place. All the people I know who do yoga or pilates are all serene and thin and bendy. I'd quite like to be serene and thin and bendy. As opposed to irritable, chubby and not bendy.

Snowboarding and/or skiing
All my children can ski and board. I could have bought a new car or a fitted kitchen with the money I have spent on my offsprings Alpine pursuits. But I've never had a go, all together now... poor poor auntie.

Building/renovating a House
God, wouldn't that be amazing? To create your own home? To have exactly what you want where you want it? The flaw in this plan is that I have zero DIY skills and I live in a house where if something goes wrong I get a teenage boy to fix it or I adapt around it. I have none of the 4 recessed lighting thingies that work in my kitchen and if the 1 light above the kitchen table goes I will need to buy a lamp. Pitiful isn't it?

Being stylishly dressed and accesorised
Not gonna happen is it? I just don't have the imagination for it. I suspect my can't be arsed gene doesn't help.

A pyschology degree
I know, for nearly 4 years I've been bumping my gums that I'd love to do one. Nothing is stopping me except my can't be arsed gene. D'ya think I could get it removed on the NHS?

A gap year
Is this not the middle of my life? do I not deserve a wee rest from the giddy and exciting whirl of kids, work, laundry, heating up stuff and tidying away stuff that is my very rock n roll existence? My friend Neil aka The Edge went travelling years ago and wrote about his adventures and I always hope I'll be able to do that someday too. Obviously not as well as The Edge did, as he pays careful attention to grammar and is always funny, he gets very cross with my spelling, punctuation and grammar. Incidentally, my friend Neil aka The Edge is not in U2, his band is way cooler and currently wowing the good people of central Scotland with their "No sleep till Horlicks" tour.

Singing
I am truly, truly dreadful but it's a talent I dearly wish I possesed. Is it possible to teach anyone, no matter how bad, to sing? Scratch that, you know my can't be arsed gene would be working overtime.

David Tennant
Yum.

22 comments:

Mrs Worthington said...

What is it with you and the number 11?

Autumn Mist said...

It may be time to kick the cba attitude into touch! Crack on gal, time is short. I am very surprised you've never been to a music festival. You've missed your year, though, this year the ground was so hard and dry no one could hammer in a tent peg. That's not going to happen for another 20 years, is it? I am with you on the singing thing, my voice makes people visibly wince and I don't think any teacher or any amount of money will make any difference. If you do decide to roll down a hill in a hamster ball, can you please make sure someone is standing by with a camera?!

Nota Bene said...

David Tennant? Will you give yourself peace!

They do zorbing in Brighton...I'm told after each run they have to wipe it down to remove the vomit...

Festivals and skiing...I believe there are places that you can do both at the same time!

Gap years generally start when you're 60 and don't stop :-)

auntiegwen said...

Mrs W - I'm hoping to do 11 posts with an 11 theme in November. I have no life, you see, sad I know.

AM - I bet you I could make you feel so much better about your voice if you heard me :) I promise if I ever Zorb, one of the weans will film it and stick it on youtube!

NB - eeoow sounds much less fun now I know there's vomit involved

Gigi said...

Although I doubt if they can surgically remove that CBA gene I do believe if it was something you really, really, really wanted you could overcome it....

Yeah, that gap year thing? I think I need one of those!

auntiegwen said...

Gigi - you're right, I'm just lazy, I'd much rather read blogs and eat chocolate

Ayak said...

I have the CBA gene too...it's a bugger isn't it? Maybe we should start up a support/self help group for the condition? Or maybe, like me, you can't be arsed :-)

auntiegwen said...

Ayak - I still can't comment on your blog but I'm still reading xxx

AGuidingLife said...

I believe we are related, I have the CBA gene too :0) I am happy to give you David Tennant, you can come to m'dinner parteees with me and Colin (Firth). We'll impress them with our bendiness whilst discussing our recent travels - nice :0)

auntiegwen said...

Kellogsville - what a very exciting imaginary life we lead!!! I hope we are both thin and gorgeous with no wrinkles whatsoever !!! x ps if you fancy Zumba it's near enough for you...

Looking for Blue Sky said...

Am confused. Did I write this? No it's too funny, so it must've been you, auntiegwen. Though it's true that Zumba has not yet reached Dublin, but if I had a babysitter I would definitely be there. Festivals, yoga, skiing, DIY, stylish, gap year, all ditto. I used to be able to sing tho'. How about 11 of auntie's life tips next?

auntiegwen said...

LFBS - 11 of my life tips next? certainly my dear, as well all know what a splendid success I've made of me own life ;) xx

Curry Queen said...

I'm with you on the Gap year, the degree and the Festivals. Yoga? Boooring! David Tennant? hmmmm a bit skinny for my liking! House renovation - gah - done so much of it - always seems like such a great idea (be creative, put your own stamp on the place, save money! -all arguments put forward by the Shah) but it's always twice as expensive as you think it will be and physically killing...

auntiegwen said...

CQ - I know what you mean, everyone I know who does DIY or has builders in usually have a sorry tale to tell

Helena said...

I'd probably like to try about three from your list (excluding David Tennant since discovering Simon Baker!)

1.Festival, defo.
2.Zorbing.
3.Being stylish (instead of Hellish!).

Two. I've already done/do.

As for the psychology thing, I'd be more the subject than the gain...!

Sandi said...

Now there's a list, I have tried Zumba, its pretty full on and you certainly raise a sweat, but feel good too. I do pilates and feel really good about doing that, my muscle tone is coming on, my legs are getting stronger. Did yoga when pregnant with my first. Always wanted to sing and was in a choir for a time, then I smoked!!! Want so much to have my own home......and to build a new one would be heaven.
The dream goes on......xxx Sandi

Anonymous said...

"All the people I know who do yoga or pilates are all serene and thin and bendy." Dammit - I must be going to the wrong classes.

Madame DeFarge said...

As for festivals, have you thought of the End of the Road festival in Dorset in September? Meant to be fab. M. DeFarge not keen, so not gone myself, but friends swear by it.

auntiegwen said...

Lena - I must google Simon baker :) and I reckon my family could keep psychologists going for years!

Sandi - ooh I'm glad your pilates thing's going well, wish me luck for Zumba tomorrow :)

Alienne - I bet you are serene and thin and bendy really and you're just trying to make me fell better about myself :)

Madame - is then a hidden subtext or a big fat hint in the selection of the "End of the Road" festival? is my time up?

mannanan said...

What a very eclectic list. Hit the right chord with me on a number....I'm so not bendy it's a standing joke in our house and I get called names like Mr Bendoflex....DIY, I'm like you useless. If it wasn't for my wife shaming me into doing things ('cause she can do things like plumbing, plastering, brick laying,all tricks she learnt from her dad and brothers) I wouldn't....Like you I'd love to do a music festival but the mud and the toilets put me right off...A gap year.....Mmmmmm Yeah I could do with one of those...

auntiegwen said...

mannanan - I love the Mr Bendoflex tag :) I must look for a festival sans mud, we could have a bloggers jolly as I think quite a few of us would love that.

scrappysue said...

david tennant. double yum. as for zumba, DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!! it's so freeing, but not so much alcohol and other stuff...