Thursday 20 June 2013

In which we have a new house...

We have a new house... dah dah dun, cue the scary music.

I didn't properly remember all the details of the house, I don't think we spent much time in it, to be honest, I've spent longer trying to buy shoes.

We did not realise, when we viewed it, that we were buying a house from Mr & Mrs McMankypants. It was quite a shock to discover that the house hadn't been cleaned, it seems, since we viewed it several months ago. The oven was truly filthy, the loos weren't great and I had to empty my dyson no less than 3 times and the carpets still aren't good. We could have lived without the 2 inches of dog poo in the bottom of the wheely bin too.

Moving on

We have lots of stuff to buy, underfloor heating to install, wardrobes to be built in, showers and tiling to be put in, old kitchen to be turned into an office, builders to get started on the new kitchen/diner/family room conservatory thingy we I have requested demanded. The garden also needs landscaping and the decking needs tarting up. We also have to replace every curtain pole, blinds and curtains as every single room has a very naked window, consequently on the few nights we have stayed we have to be very careful about my very naked husband. We also seem to have a distinct lack of window sills, I didn't realise how much I liked them (or filled them up with stuff to be more truthful) So we have a list as long as your arm of stuff we have to do, and what have we achieved?

Currently we have an airbed, several scented candles and a nice blank wall to watch films on



So to recap, I wanted to buy a very old house so I could completely remodel it inside, himself wanted a newish house so he didn't have to do all the work, so we could just move in and live.

Now you wouldn't be surprised to hear that our house is all of 4 years old, would you?

14 comments:

Gigi said...

HA! Sounds about right. I think the only way to get everything just the way you want it is to build new....but who can afford to do that!

Congrats on your new home - pretty soon you will have it just the way you want it to be and it will be perfect.

libby said...

Awwwww....your first 'together' home....fabulous. May you enjoy health and happiness and all manner of good things...xxx

Lesley said...

Sounds like the perfect compromise. Lang may yer lum reek!

auntiegwen said...

Gigi - I would have loved to have built from scratch but I don't think I am suited to tangible building projects, I'm more of a paint it & dress it fancy kind of a gal

Libs - twill be months before we are living there but we do sneak off and meet there, usually we also have a builder giving us a price but we have managed the odd evening on our own xxx

Lesley - I have no lum to reek, himself wouldn't even let me have an architecturally salvaged one to put candles in, I'm a deprived wife, fireplaceally speaking !

Mac n' Janet said...

Congratulations, and may the renovations not drive you too crazy.

Looking for Blue Sky said...

Actually your bedroom looks rather romantic just the way it is:)

I hope you'll be very happy there xx

AGuidingLife said...

Candles in the bedroom with all that linen around? OMG it's a disaster waiting to happen! I only allow candles in the kitchen near the sink.

My cats would not like your house. They like window sills. This works well because you probably wouldn't like my cats. Win win!

Ayak said...

I'm so pleased for you. Such a shame you have so much cleaning to do. I'll never understand how people can leave houses in such a mess. Do they have no shame? Your plans sound very exciting. Looking forward to seeing pics of the end result.

Nota Bene said...

Glad to hear you both got what you wanted...well done, and glad you have your own place together!

auntiegwen said...

M& J - oops too late!

LFBS - we now have a console table in our bedroom, still nothing sensible but I now have somewhere to put my scented candles

K - that's why we had to buy the console table you see :)

Ayak - it was beyond filthy, like you I would be mortified to leave my house anything other than spotless

NB - well we both half got what we want so a win of sorts I expect, ps have a good birthday, 37 isn't it? xx

sandiart said...

Ohhh, your own home, how wonderful, know what you mean about filthy, I have just moved myself, I left the house I was in pristine, this one not so.....so over cleaning other peoples crap and mould, however this is prob 40 years old, so considering the age it prob wasn't too bad.....kitchen cupboards are manky and smell horrid!!!
Happy days xxx Sandi

Helena said...

The end results will be far more satisfying with all that hard work! Who needs sleep anyway?!

Mrs Worthington said...

Oh bless, it all sounds lovely and very barefoot in the kitchen. although with all that filth that may not be a good idea! Happy hosuewarming and all that sail in her

Elderberry-Rob said...

Your new house sounds fab - so full of potential and promise, just think of all the diy and decorating projects - it's going to be great putting your stamp on it and fun buying things - like windowsills and ornaments to go on them. Your bedroom looks cosy - with a nice slopy ceiling. Good luck in your new home, I always think when you can sit on the loo and stop thinking about who sat there before you, then your house has truly become yours!