Friday 6 September 2013

Point of origin

Today I drove home from Edinburgh after dropping The Beautiful Son off to start at university there. I feel comforted about him going home and being in a familiar place (if only to me!)as he was barely 5 when we headed south.

As I drove away, my mind was filled with a million memories of the cuddly snuggly squishy baby who became the shy boy who needed his mummy so much who now stands before me as a confident, humane & friendly young man.

I will miss the day to day stuff with him, the comfort that he brings just by being in my life. I will miss his chat, his bad jokes and the hugs and his love more than he will ever know. There is a space in my heart that only he can fill.

And he does.

So my beautiful son, go and start your independent life, explore, make friends, live, love & enjoy.

You are the joy of my heart and I love you more than words can say.

11 comments:

Gigi said...

Oh, you made me cry! Leaving them to start their own lives is the hardest thing ever. But know this - you have raised a wonderful young man and he will be fine. And so will you. Although that knowledge won't make you miss him any less. x

libby said...

Ok so I'm a bit teary eyed now....and I did wonder when you would be taking him north.....what a great place for him to be though....and what a fine young man he is..that picture is beautiful and I remember his lovely speech on the day.....y'know AG we love our men but our sons hold such a very very special place in our hearts don't they? see you soon? xxxx

Anonymous said...

Awwww! beautiful and sums up how I feel about my lovely boy! Well said Libby, we never loose our sons do we? My 14 yr old is now in size 9 shoes and is almost 6ft....he is and always will be my baby...what a lot of soppy mums we are!! xx

Anonymous said...

Bless him - and you! And what a lovely photo. Letting him go means he will always come back.
xx

Looking for Blue Sky said...

Am crying here too, especially at the picture! He looks such a fine young man, and well ready to step out into the big wide world, but I think he'll always be there to support you too xx

Andy said...

Wonderful. Him, you and this post.

Expat mum said...

Ach - this reminds of two years ago when the Queenager (as she was) went off. I was bereft. My man-child is now in his last year, so I have it to come again and he was attached to my left leg until he was about 8. Gorgeous photo.

Mrs Worthington said...

feeling for you xx

Nota Bene said...

He'll love it...and remember you fondly every time he needs his washing doing...!

Trish said...

Oh god, pass the tissues, I'm in bits here. Have spent the weekend talking unis, courses and personal statements with my boy and I know the time is going to whizz by before I am in your shoes.
So beautifully written.
*sniffing uncontrollably*

Curry Queen said...

We're in the same boat again Auntie! My baby is leaving this coming weekend and one of her very good friends has just gone to Edinburgh so watch out if your boy comes home with a beautiful Philosophy student called Ellie....