Monday 10 August 2009

Things that have rendered me momentarily speechless

I know that according to the google searches that I am the queen of the comeback and I have been known to lob out an occasional smart arse remark. I, am however, sometimes completely lost for words. In this last week this has happened more than once, I am recovering nicely now though.

Male friend commenting on an old photo of me as a 15 year old
"I'd have shagged you."

ag - hoping he meant as a teenager himself and not now as a man of middle years. I am trying to be tactful here, in case he gets offended I originally wrote nearly 50.

John, friend of my parents we went to visit on Friday night
"Grace, I thought you said she'd lost a lot of weight? " "No, you did, you told me she was like a stick insect, she is not" "Ah, well, compared to her sister she is I suppose"

ag - I don't know who was more mortified, my mother or me, probably my mother, I thought she might have another stroke there and then. He did however pop round on Saturday to apologize, bringing me some roses as he knew he'd been tactless.

Text from my Beautiful Baby Daughter who is staying up in Scotland for a week with my parents (so is The Beautiful Son)
Jack said I touched his bum but I didn't and Nana called me a pervert, that was not nice

ag - I didn't think that would be a word my mum would use in general conversation never mind conversation with my children.

Gadget Mad Dad on return from a car boot sale on Sunday morning
"Picked myself up a wee laptop for £25, not got a charger but I've got a few out in the shed"

ag - this is a man who has an all singing all dancing computer that he replaces annually and still hardly uses it, what does he need a laptop for? This is a man who has just spent £15,000 yep that's right fifteen thousand pounds on premium bonds, he's not short of a bob or two, what is he buying an ancient old laptop at a car boot for ? and why in the name of all that's holy did he buy one that had no feckin charger?

Incidentally, he spent all of Sunday trying every charger in the house (yep, that included phone, electric shavers, all his power tools and even their wee black and decker dustbuster wee hoovery thing to pick up crumbs trying to fit into his bargain, no matter how many times I told him they wouldn't work, he would not admit defeat.

9 comments:

Working Mum said...

I love your dad, he sounds just like mine. My dad is struggling with a second hand laptop that won't connect to his wireless internet when he has two other perfectly good computers in the house and could go and buy himself a new laptop if he wanted!

auntiegwen said...

wm - what is it with dads and gadgets? and bargains?

lisaq said...

Ah the things people say! Gotta love it!

Nota Bene said...

I'm deeply shocked by each and every one of these incidents. I am confident that all were taken completely out of context.

Nota Bene said...

I so love the comment in between this one and my first one

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

Yer pa sounds a hoot. Must be good for yer weans to stay in Glasgow and get a real feel for their true heritage! Hope you had a great time, besides the tactless comments from yer man. Men eh?!

Helena said...

Sometimes men just have to have things they know there's hardly a hope in hell of working. I've plenty of gadgets and wires around the place and all they need is a fairy with a magic wand and - Hey Presto!

Squirmy Popple said...

I love that quote from your Dad. It sounds like something my mom might do - she's not very technically savvy. She just recently discovered how to text after having a mobile for about eight years.

auntiegwen said...

Lisa - the people I know seem to have no thought as to what they say

NB - Aye right (in my fullest and best Glaswegian accent)

Mob - I think it's great, they miss having their grandparents around on a weekly basis

Lena - it figures, you live in a house of trouser, you have a lot of gadgets

Katie - my mum still can't text !